Bolt Release Thumb Shield Project: Finally, a solution!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bolt Release Thumb Shield Project: Finally, a solution!

Post by Tiny_Rick on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Hello all! Now that I've finally finished all the intellectual protection nonsense (shape, location, and friction concept all legally protected) I can finally show off my latest project for the Kriss, compatible with both generations and all calibers. I'm sure we've all had the rather steep and tedious learning curve of keeping your hand/thumb off of the bolt release lever, which of course causes accidental locks and FTFs. AGGRIVATING. So I drew this up and have been prototyping it the last few months. Just wanted to see if this was a concept y'all think is worthwhile?
The basic concept is using friction, internal radial pressure, and the existing shape of the weapon to secure the accessory and give your thumb purchase on the weapon. It DOES NOT REPLACE, modify, rearrange, or augment any existing bolts or hardware. Final version will be in different sizes and thumb angles for different sized hands and grips. I also sculpted it to help keep your thumb oriented during and after manipulating the latch. This solution allows those of us that are legally unable to use a VFG due to SBR laws to get a much more satisfying and combat effective grip on the weapon.
This is about 90% complete, there are still some cosmetic changes to tend to and custom screw lengths to find but what do ya'll think? Worth manufacturing or presenting to Kriss? Is this a problem you've had and needed solved? Anybody with a mill or ballistic ABS molding connections want to help me bring this into the commercial world?

(Also if Kriss is viewing this and likes the idea, I'm a recent graduate and am definitely job hunting!)

UPDATE 11/28/16

Multi-material printing and prototyping successful, the thumb brace now has rubberized contact points (Red) and a reinforced plastic body (White). Mounting points have been optimized for set screws, eliminating the need for visible or intrusive hardware. Currently in the process of re-shaping and smoothing the mesh that comprises the front in order to eliminate risers needed for previous mounting hardware. Also working to find the best methodology anneal the parts out of the printer for more robust field testing prototypes.

Last edited by Tiny_Rick on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tiny_Rick

Back to top Go down

Re: Bolt Release Thumb Shield Project: Finally, a solution!

Post by jsha22lr on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:41 am

Pretty cool, kudos for going outside the box.

jsha22lr

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoLimaBravo on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Updates?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny_Rick on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Update posted!

Tiny_Rick

Back to top Go down

Post by jsha22lr on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Would you be interested in printing a right side safety plug?

jsha22lr

Back to top Go down

Post by traintrax on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:58 pm

I'm definitely down for one in black.

traintrax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum