KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy

3 posters

Go down

KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy Empty KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy

Post by solvovir Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:47 pm

So I found a Kriss Type 03 Barrel Shroud "Short" on gunbroker and bought it. These shorter shrouds are 11" and 1/4" inches longs as apposed to the standard 12 and 1/4 that comes stock on all CRBs. Its suppose to expose 1 inch of the end of the barrel. When I got my shroud it would not fit over my barrel, not that it was tight, it would absolutely not fit. I called Buddy at Kriss & heres why. The original Kriss had 16mm barrels, at some point (im not sure when) kriss started making the barrels 17mm. To not have to redesign all the shrouds which were designed around the 16mm barrels, they milled off the first inch of the barrel down to a 16mm so it would slide over the end and fit snug. Kriss currently no longer makes the shorter shrouds and Im not sure if they are planning to again. Heres the first photo showing the shorter shroud not fitting over the barrel.
KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy Shroud
Heres a pic of my barrel
KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy Shroud2-1
Im assuming the older kriss's with the 16mm barrels are not milled on the end. If someone has a pic of one without a milled barrel Id like to see it. To everyone else wanting to purchase the shorter shroud, just know it will not fit if you have a newer barrel. Kriss did offer to send me a full length one to replace it, but Im going to hold off for now.

solvovir

Back to top Go down

KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy Empty Re: KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy

Post by CatMostFeared Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:09 pm

some excellent info thanks
CatMostFeared
CatMostFeared
Admin

http://www.krisstalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Interesting. I recall taking my barrel shroud off at the carbine class I took. I don't recall it being milled. How much was the shroud?

One word of caution. I shot the first day with the shroud but removed it the second day. It threw off my 50 yd zero OFF paper! Once I put it back on, my rds were back on paper.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by solvovir Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:15 pm

thats crazy! I may see if taking it off effects my POI tomorrow. i got it cheap-80 bux, came in original kriss packaging with msrp price on it. I believe vendors are selling them low because they dont fit the newer kriss's.

solvovir

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Does this barrel shroud fit yours? I may be interested in picking one up for mine.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by solvovir Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 pm

No, it doesnt fit over the end, as in the pix, but Im not ready to sell it yet. I may get some custom work done to my barrel

solvovir

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 am

solvovir wrote:No, it doesnt fit over the end, as in the pix, but Im not ready to sell it yet. I may get some custom work done to my barrel

Sorry i didnt mean buy yours. I was just curious what you plan on doing with it.

I just noticed that you have a rail on the left side. How do you like it? I bought one rail. I tried it on the left but found that putting a scoutlight on there doesnt work. The thumb screw gets in the way of the charging handle. In fact I cant really see what you could put on that rail as the charging handle would get in the way. Kriss should have made an offset rail. So that it lowers the rail away from the charging handle.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by CatMostFeared Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:58 am

Hows the factory shroud attach to the barrel?
CatMostFeared
CatMostFeared
Admin

http://www.krisstalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by solvovir Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 pm

The factory shroud just slips over the barrel and there's a allen screw that firmly holds it in place. With my barrel, I was going to mill off 1mm diameter back another inch while also getting it threaded for my can. 45 can on a 16" barrel will probably look ridiculous but I don't want to wait for a sbr stamp. The problem I've run in to is removing the barrel...
As far as my rail on the left side, yea its kinda useless. Can't really mount anything there or it gets in the way

solvovir

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Solovir, where did you get your shroud for $80? Also I pulled my shroud off and my barrel is 15mm. Not 16mm. And it is all one diameter.

Last edited by Solscud007 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by solvovir Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:00 pm

ebay! lol, yea I measured my barrel where its milled down on the end with dial calipers and its actually 15mm, not 16 like buddy told me. Guess he got confused or wasnt correct with his standard to metric conversion. But the diameter of my barrel everywhere else is 17mm.

solvovir

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 pm

I feel dumb. I didnt read your first sentence. You said you got it off gunbroker.

Well I picked up a type 2 shroud off gunbroker. buy it now for $70 plus $9 and 3% pp fees came out to $83 shipped.

Will let you guys know how it turns out. I got it so I can try using it like a rail system and mount some rails. I want to put an Magpul AFG on it and maybe my light.

Here is the picture from the auction.
KRISS Barrel Shroud-before you buy Kriss_17
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by solvovir Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Dont feel dumb. In my first sentence I said i got it on gunbroker, but I really think I got it from ebay now thinking back. Which is weird because I would figure it to be a restricted item for ebay. Do a search for kriss super v and 2 will pop up along with some keychains.

solvovir

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down