KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After-training report on KRISS CRB

4 posters

Go down

After-training report on KRISS CRB Empty After-training report on KRISS CRB

Post by nellattocs Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:17 pm

This weekend I attended a defensive carbine course. The course lasted two days and included blocks on everything from sighting in your rifle to firing while moving. I won't get into the details of it, but it was a great course. Most of my shooting over the past twelve years has been handgun, so I'm only recently getting into rifle and was pretty much a novice in the class.

I shot about 700 rounds of Federal Champion 230 grain through the Kriss, about 350 rounds on Saturday and 350 on Sunday. In the 700 rounds I experienced one type 2 stoppage (stove pipe) and that was about 200 rounds in on Saturday. Other than that the gun ran flawlessly. I did clean and oil the gun Saturday night. I will say that the barrel shroud allen screw did back out a bit and I had to re-tighten it twice today (Sunday). I think some lock-tight is in order.

I'm not happy with the trigger. That is my only real issue with the weapon. It is fine for anything 50 yards and in, but we did a few drills at ranges from 75-100 yards and it is simply not as good as even a moderately good AR trigger. I grant that this was designed as a submachine gun trigger, but I'm not using the CRB in that way. I want it to be an all-around rifle for me with a pistol caliber round that I can use on ranges that allow pistol caliber, for home defense, and for training. I did get more used to the trigger and was able to consistently hit a steel target at 75 yards offhand, kneeling and prone by the end of the day Sunday.

I sighted in at 25 yards. Anything 15 yards and in had to be compensated for by aiming about 3 inches high due to barrel/sight relationship, but his is no different than any other rifle, just something to think about in close quarters.

Here are some other misc. observations:

I did find that the design/location of the mag release makes tactical reloads difficult and had to default to reload with retention method. (With an AR, for example, you can release with the right hand while you manipulate two mags with your left at the same time, that was not possible for me with the mag release on the KRISS.)

Prone is very easy with the 30 round mag on the ground.

Support hand space is very limited. The instructor suggested a foregrip on the lower rail; I tend to agree and may try one of the bipod foregrips. I also tried the thumb over barrell method on the shroud and that was fine until the barrel heated the shroud up.

The .45 round punches a nice big hole in the target and is easy to see from 25-30 yards, way easier to see than .223 / 5.56 on the target.

The sights cowitness perfectly with the Eotech and I like that. I left the front sight up 100% of the time. I raised the rear sight up on occasion.

Emergency reloads were easy and fast, the mags drop free and if you are used to putting a mag in a Glock quickly, then you can do a mag change in a KRISS quickly. I found that returning the bolt to battery with the charging lever was inconsistent due to the heavy bolt spring (sometimes I would not rack it back far enough), it was much easier, faster, and more consistent for me to press the bolt release if it's back when you do an emergency reload (and it should be back if you empty a mag).

I ended up using a Magpul RSA on the rail and find the single attachment sling setup ideal. We did some drills transitioning from the carbine to the handgun and a simple twist and tuck motion with the support hand secures the KRISS and allows easy presentment of the pistol from the holster.

That's all I can think of right now.

Scott

Last edited by nellattocs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

nellattocs

Back to top Go down

After-training report on KRISS CRB Empty Re: After-training report on KRISS CRB

Post by CatMostFeared Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks for sharing the info Scott
Whos class did you take and where.
I thinking of using my SBR KRISS in a tactical response clss in Tn.
CatMostFeared
CatMostFeared
Admin

http://www.krisstalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xn0r Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:20 am

LOL. The idea of fast mag reloads for me is a joke. The Kriss BB is ridiculously narrow and can't be released by even a pointy 7.62 bullet. You literally have to use some sort of tool to do it.

Then, even if I had a real mag release, I think I'd want about 20 pre-filled glock mags, since reloading the mag itself is friggin hard! Perhaps I have weak fingers, but I can't put that 10th rd into the mag with my fingers/thumbs. Thank god I have an upLula otherwise the best I could do is 9 in each mag. Smile
Xn0r
Xn0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 am

Get a preban mag. Bevel the bottom opening of the mag and slap on the kriss mag extension.

Nellattocs, what you experienced sounds about what I experienced at my tactical carbine course. I'm working on a solution about the mag release.

Use the 6 o'clock position of the circle in your eotech as your point of aim for that hold over at further distances. Use all of your reticle, not just the dot in the center.

Last edited by Solscud007 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by nellattocs Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 am

It was with a company called Defensive Concepts and took place in Carthage, NC.

http://defensiveconceptsnc.com/rifle.html#defensivecarbine

Scott

CatMostFeared wrote:Thanks for sharing the info Scott
Whos class did you take and where.
I thinking of using my SBR KRISS in a tactical response clss in Tn.

nellattocs

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:25 am

How did the other students react to you using the KRISS?

Most if not all the guys in my carbine class did not know of the KRISS or seen one. They called it a space gun and other silly descriptions. But when you tell them it shoots 45 acp, then they open their eyes. hehe

I only shot 500 rds but never had a malfunction. During the manfulction drill, we tried to induce a double feed but it would not fail. So I had to pretend it was jammed. haha
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by nellattocs Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Solscud007 wrote:How did the other students react to you using the KRISS?

Everyone there was shooting AR15's except for my KRISS, an AK, and a Kel-Tec 9mm. We did some drills where we had to diagnose and clear set-up stoppages in other's guns and the three people that did that on my KRISS there were a couple of folks that had issues going to it cold, not knowing the weapon. Everyone there seemed to have heard about it except for a couple of guys. A few people initially thought it was silenced even after hearing it fired (with ear protection on), it is that much quieter than an AR.

Scott

Last edited by nellattocs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

nellattocs

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Oh yeah it is much quieter than an AR. Especially indoors haha.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down