KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vector Problems

+2
bolus
rogerjohnsen
6 posters

Go down

Vector Problems Empty Vector Problems

Post by rogerjohnsen Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello All,

I found this forum looking for some information on some problems I've had with my Kriss Vector. I posted in another area but haven't had any responses so I'll re-post here as this site still seems to be active.

I'm curious if others have had similar issues...

Take Down Pins: I've noticed the lower take down pin at the base plate for the bolt gets "chewed-up" and is developing grooves in the metal. I rotated the other 3 pins and they start showing the same wear after 50-100 rounds.

Ejection Port: I have a number of "chunks" in the metal from spent casings.

Dented Casings: I started saving my brass in the event I ever start reloading (.45 ACP isn't cheap) but noticed the casings are "dented".

I contacted Kriss-USA but it doesn't sound like anyone has reported any problems like this so thought I'd do some research. Any thoughts on the above or similar experiences?

rogerjohnsen

Back to top Go down

Vector Problems Empty Re: Vector Problems

Post by bolus Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:44 pm

I have brass scuff marks from the ejected rounds but I dont think they are actually denting or pitting the metal. I think it adds character.

My pins have the coating scratched off from use but are not actually grooved. Kriss has replacements but they sell at $25 a piece I believe. Are the scratch marks parallel or perpendicular to the axis of the pin?

I havent paid much attention to the spent rounds since the range I shoot at requires purchase of ammo and return of casings. As long as it keeps eating the ammo I have not paid much attention.

bolus

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerjohnsen Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Definitely perpendicular corresponding to the bolt floor plate contact on the pin. I guess that adds character too...

As for the ejection port dings, I do also have some chipped finish as you're describing but also some deeper gouges - maybe where multiple spent casings have hit an already chipped area causing further damage.

At the end of the day, I guess it's a matter of personal preference and acceptability as to whether these issues are okay. To me it's more of a design issue since I could easily bang it with a hammer to add character. Ultimately I'm more concerned with functionality and I'm worried about the results I've seen with this thing. I've been offered an RMA, however, reading some user's experience about length of time and issues not being fixed, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon too soon until I get some more information on the problems I'm experiencing. I saw the $25 replacement pins and it seems like a lot of places carry them; which also made me wonder why so prevalent. I can understand parts for an AR like this since people, myself included, are building stripped receivers and need these parts but I've never had a take down pin wear out on any other weapon I own. Nor have I experienced damage from the spent casing or had the casings dented. Not trying to be nitpicky on little things - just curious if mine is problematic or if it's across the board.

rogerjohnsen

Back to top Go down

Post by bolus Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:24 pm

KWA does have $2 take down pins for their airsoft version. Im sure they would fail horribly in a real KRISS but you could buy a pile of them and using them as consumables Very Happy

If it was me I'd shoot it until it broke and then do the RMA and just replace the pins if they started to look iffy. If I went through enough of them I'd have a machine shop do a set of solid pins in chromoly or titanium. Just my approach though

bolus

Back to top Go down

Post by jonj313 Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Heckler and Koch pins work as well
jonj313
jonj313

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerjohnsen Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:30 pm

That's good to know and will check into the Heckler and Koch pins. I've asked Kriss-USA what material the pins are made out of also in the event I look into getting stronger pins made on a custom basis.

I've tried to post pictures of the problems I'm referring to but keep getting error messages (page not found) so I'm not sure the hosting company is valid or if there's a problem with the link. I think it would be helpful to at least get some pictures uploaded so apologize for not being able to do that at this point.

rogerjohnsen

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerjohnsen Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Okay - I think I was able to get the pictures this time...

Vector Problems Vector11

Vector Problems Ejecti12

Vector Problems Ejecti13

rogerjohnsen

Back to top Go down

Post by bolus Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:27 pm

That's what mine looks like.  I consider that normal wear

Vector Problems F0APT0k
Vector Problems KucGMlO

bolus

Back to top Go down

Post by jonj313 Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 pm

The dings on ejection port look about normal.
The take down pins do not. I have roughly
5th rounds through mine with minimal cosmetic
wear.
jonj313
jonj313

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerjohnsen Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Wow - I don't even have nearly that many rounds!!! Do all of your pins look the same? I've noticed the one below the trigger is the one that gets beat-up.

rogerjohnsen

Back to top Go down

Post by bolus Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:06 pm

I dont see how the pins could not get wear. They are holding the spring in place and each shot the 2 lower pins are all that keeps the whole bolt mechanism from flying out of the bottom of the gun. I would expect them to get all worn to hell and eventually need a replacement.

Just like the suspension rod ends on my track car. They may be race grade and nearly indestructible but they bear the weight of the car and see a heck of a lot of forces on the track and are expected to be consumables.

Unless you magnafluxed that pin and saw damage, I'd consider that all expected surface wear.

bolus

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerjohnsen Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Could be - I don't know. I know it's one particular pin that exhibits the extreme wear but from what I can understand here and from other sources, it's not normal and should be RMA'd back to Kriss-USA for inspection. I've also had stovepipe ejection issues and a loose rail under the barrel so will have those addressed as well. I use the extended 30-round mags; which I've also learned you're not supposed to load 30-rounds in as they could get damaged and cause feed issues. Kriss-USA is recommending no more than 27 rounds in those magazines.

On another note - using non Kriss-USA take down pins will void your warranty. Since the warranty is only 1 year this may not be an issue for most people.

I really appreciate the responses and plan to take the gun to the range to identify which mags have problems and send the guns and mags back in for inspection / repair. I'll update the post once I've gotten it back.

rogerjohnsen

Back to top Go down

Post by bolus Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:03 pm

yes, please let me know if they consider that excessive wear on the pin.

bolus

Back to top Go down

Post by HAROLD777 Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:06 am

2014-10-21
I sent my CRB one week after I got it for a loose front pin . I asked if they made an oversized pin to correct the lack of accuracy.
They sent my gun back to me and called me and told me it was within specs. How can a 5" grouping at 25 yards be normal.
They told me that they shoot them between 7 to 25 yards. The front pin has 14thousands gap from the pin and trunion on the bottom section . I told them I could have made my own pin but the gun was under warrenty. They told me it sounded like a good idea.
The customer service people at Kriss are great and were very understanding but their gunsmiths must be ****,not so smart, not to see excessive movement between the upper and lower. It took them three months to send it back to me unrepaired I am very disappointed with this firearm and I would not recommend it to anyone.
GOOD LUCK.

HAROLD777

View user profile Send private message

Back to top Go down
View previous topic View next topic Back to top

HAROLD777

Back to top Go down

Post by bolus Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 pm

so on a whim I ordered some pins from KWA (the makers of the airsoft replica)

The take down pin is steel and exact in dimensions. It is even thicker than the Kriss pin. Im not sure if I would actually use it, I guess it could be missing some heat treatment. But I was impressed since Kriss charges $25 for the pin and KWA charges $2.75

I needed the pin for the folding stock and it is also steel and very sturdy and I'd trust it in that location.

KWA pin on the left, Kriss one on the right

Vector Problems SYyB2b1

KWA on the right
Vector Problems SyzX0Vi

a little closer to show thickness
Vector Problems HK5JFOg

bolus

Back to top Go down

Post by AXman Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:31 pm

It might be suitable in the upper portion of the gun. Not sure if i would use it on the lower 2 pins that secure the bolt in place.

AXman

Back to top Go down

Post by sentra52 Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 am

Line the ejection port with a piece of velcro. I have done this on several guns to prevent dings and scratches. works very well.

sentra52

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down